Monday, November 14, 2011

That time of year again!

 Hello my friends!
yes it is that time of year once again!
Oh, no!!  Teehee I wasn't thinking of Thanksgiving (not just yet anyways)
Time for the "Senior Projects" to begin!!!!
If you follow my blog you know already that every autumn I begin my mentoring of
seniors here at school. The entire senior student body must read a story by a "world author".
After reading a story they then come up with a central theme of the story and then create a project and write a thesis on the story its them and an art that illustrates the theme.
Whew... that was a run on sentence now wasn't it???!
Thankfully I have nothing to do with the written english portion...(As you can tell spelling and grammar are not my best talents)
The students then choose an art form such as
Music
Theater
 Dance
or
Visual Arts
Thats where my mentoring comes in...

I will help them create an original art piece that illustrates the given theme.
Will it be  a digital photography piece, clay sculpture, a pen and ink illustration or a watercolor painting...
Maybe an altered book or even an installation art!
Who knows but there are oodles and oodles of options!

Just now though as I was going over my students various themes...I am as always
amazed at the depressing themes!!!
Want to hear a few?
 •Obsession with death
Loneliness
Suffering
The Negative Effects of Secrecy
The Incompetence of Human Memory
Regret
Duty  (okay thats not so bad)
Family Devotion (Hey maybe these are getting better!)
Effects of Neglect
Unrequited Love
No... I was wrong
 they are depressing
Any ways that is just a few of the themes.
Now on to making art!
Have a great Monday all!
See you soon!
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Glatsical!!
    Thank you for your comment!
    Gee... I am afraid it's not the students nor their diets (Heehee)
    These are the THEMES of the short stories. They
    are written by "World Authors" such as Graham Greene,
    Dostoevsky, Gustave Flaubert, D.H. Lawrence,
    and Nikolai Gogol.
    I am just so very grateful we were switched from novels to short stories!!!
    Come by again soon!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments! Thanks and come back soon!