Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Macrame

Hi my friends!
Yes...Im teaching some of my Juniors  how to macrame!
It is coming back into fashion!
They have all made the woven type of friendship bracelets but now
they will be in the know with macrame bracelets.

There are many types of materials you can use for macrame.
Back in the 70's I used jute for just about everything from wall hangings
to plant hangers.

For the bracelet I am having the students use embroidery floss.
Any cotton cord will be soft and very flexible.

If I were to make a belt I would try and use leather or stiffer plastic cords.

Here are some photos of today's projects.

This is the straight knot look




I love the twisted look!




This is an example of the woven friendship bracelet
Are they cute or what!!!
I love each one of them!!





Now back to Jack Whites
12 Steps to Failure
(see #1, 2 & 3 in last post)


4.  Business knowledge or the lack thereof. The one thing I admire about those artists who do crafts for a living is they see their art as a product. They understand they are in business to earn a living from what they produce with their hands. They have no problem being commercial. Those, whose minds are warped by the "art-talk schools", see selling what they make as prostituting themselves.

Another big reason artists remain in the less than $1,000 per year income bracket is they never build a business plan. No business plan means certain failure. They get hung up on creating, not figuring how they will sell all the "stuff" they make. Unless you can see your art as a product and yourself as a businessperson selling that product, you will forever remain at the bottom. Art is a business, just the same as clock making. The only difference: there is a need for clocks. There is no need for what we make; we are selling "wants" not "needs".

5.  Jealousy.
 I read where Picasso was jealous of Braque and Braque was jealous of Othon Friez. For those of you who have never heard of Othon Friez (1879–1949), he never reached much fame; however, when he and Braque painted together for a few years, he had a much easier time executing his skill than Braque, thus the jealousy.

I heard an artist say one time that he was jealous of the young children artists becoming so famous. I explained he only knew part of the story. One of the young "superstars" came to America with her parents from the war-torn Bosnia. Alexandra Nechita was eight years old when her parents bought her books on famous modern painters, stuck her in the basement and told her to paint. They found a promoter to market her as a "prodigy". He invested $200,000 and began the process of setting up a marketing plan. The promoter took 75% of all the money earned. The young lady became a star and the promoter got filthy rich. I ask you, Why be jealous of a child who has been robbed of her youth? We have met her on two occasions and find she has sadness in her eyes.

The only person who is hurt by jealousy is you. We harbor no jealousy. Eliminate that word from your life. Happiness is more important than money. I talk a lot about money in my books but only to show you wealth can be achieved. I don't suggest you covet filthy lucre.

WORDS OF WISDOM FOR SURE!!!

All for now
Hugs:O)
Mair

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love your comments! Thanks and come back soon!